October is Fall Car Care Month
Basic auto care can go a long way when it comes to improving the safety and reliability of your vehicle. Keeping your car properly maintained can also prevent auto accidents. When we think of the most common causes of car accidents, we often assume most are the result of drunk driving, distracted driving and reckless driving.
However, poor vehicle maintenance is another common cause of auto accidents. Auto maintenance issues, such as a cracked windshield, defective lights or wipers, brakes and worn out brake pads, even bald tires can all result in auto accidents.
With the month of October being designated as Fall Car Care Month; this is the ideal time to give your car some extra attention. Whether you do it yourself or visit a trusted auto technician, the following maintenance procedures are recommended to help make sure your car is operating at its best year around.
- Check all fluids. This includes the engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solution and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check the hoses and belts. Look for any cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Check the car’s battery and replace if necessary.
- Check the brake system once a year and have your vehicle’s brakes inspected at every oil change.
- Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and unusual noises. Leaks in the exhaust system can be dangerous and must be fixed immediately.
- Check the engine to make sure it is delivering the best balance of power and fuel economy and producing the lowest level of emissions.
- Check the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system. Proper heating and cooling is critical for interior comfort and safety reasons, such as defrosting.
- Inspect the steering and suspension system annually, including shock absorbers, struts and chassis parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the wipers and lighting. It is important you are able to see and be seen on the road. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving in rain and foggy weather conditions.
Routine maintenance checks on your vehicle can help you avoid an accident on a busy Orlando highway. If you or a loved one have suffered injury or death in an auto accident, it is important that you contact an experienced Orlando Auto Accident Lawyer immediately. Our experienced team of accident attorneys can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, future medical treatment, loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc. Feel free to fill out our quick contact form on our website to discuss your legal options in greater detail.