One of the top causes of car accidents in Florida is drunk driving. When people are intoxicated while they’re behind the wheel, their judgment is off and they are unable to control their vehicle in the same way as they would if they were sober. This is an extremely dangerous situation, of course, and one that frequently leads to severe and sometimes fatal collisions in Orlando and elsewhere.
We are always saddened when we talk with people who’ve been involved in an Orlando car accident caused by someone who was drinking and driving. This is an accident that could have been prevented if the inebriated person had chosen a more responsible alternative to driving while under the influence. However, we also know that people will continue to drive when they shouldn’t. To help you be on the lookout for these menacing drivers while you are in the road, we are listing below five common signs of a drunk driver:
- Hugging the center lane.Some drunk drivers want to stay as close to the line as possible to help them drive without swerving. This can cause them to cross over the line into oncoming traffic.
- Near collisions with other objects.Sometimes drunk drivers do not realize how close they are to certain items in the roadways, such as guardrails or barriers in the median. In swerving to avoid such an object, they wind up hitting something—or someone—else.
- Driving at a very low speed.Drunk drivers know they should not speed, so to compensate, they drive extremely slowly, which can create a road hazard and interfere with the natural flow of traffic.
- Driving without headlights.It’s easy to forget to turn your headlights on when you’ve had too much to drink. This is another common sign and one that leads to a very dangerous situation, because others have trouble seeing the drunk driver.
- Inconsistent signaling. It’s never a good idea to trust the signals of somebody who appears to be intoxicated while driving, as drunk drivers frequently signal incorrectly.
Knowledge Equals Power in Orlando Drunk Driving Accident Cases
If you believe that you are sharing the road with a drunk driver, take caution and give the other vehicle extra space so that you have plenty of time to react if a collision occurs. If you are involved in an accident with a drunk driver, contact our Florida auto accident lawyers for help with your case. We will work with you to get the best settlement possible.