It’s officially back to school time and at the Law Firm of Michael T. Gibson, we want to make sure your child’s return is a safe one. The beginning of the school year is a time when children are at an increased risk for pedestrian and transportation-related accidents. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office has focused this week’s crime tip on walking to and from school.
- If your child is walking to school, trace the route along with them before the first day of school. This way you can ensure the route is safe and that your child is familiar with it.
- Encourage your child to walk to school with a friend if you are not able to walk with them.
- Discourage your child from taking short cuts to school. These alternative routes can be dangerous.
- Talk to your child about being aware of their surroundings at all times while on their way to school. If they believe they are being followed, advise them to notify a trusted adult immediately.
- Create a “danger strategy plan” with your child, outlining what he or she should do if they are being followed or feel they are in danger. This should include shouting for help, running to the nearest business to ask for help or phoning a trusted adult.
- Make sure your child knows never to get in a car with a stranger.
- Tell your child, if a stranger begins to ask them a question they should NEVER get close to the car.
- Take time to discuss with your child who qualifies as a trusted adult (i.e. – law enforcement, teachers, family members, etc.) Establish a code word with your child to identify these trusted individuals.
Discuss Back To School Safety With Your Child
Despite warnings, communication and the best of intentions, accidents can still happen as a result of someone else’s negligence. At the personal injury law firm of Michael T. Gibson, P.A., we want you and your loved ones to have a safe return to school this year. Our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers are committed to helping children and families who have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Whether you have been involved in a car accident, bicycle or pedestrian accident, it is important that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney immediately. Our experienced team of accident attorneys can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, future medical treatment, loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc. Feel free to fill out our quick contact form on our website to discuss your legal options in greater detail.