As compared with drivers of passenger vehicles, motorcyclists are at greater risk of sustaining a traumatic brain injury (TBI) if they’re involved in an accident because there’s little or nothing to protect their head upon impact. Many of our clients who’ve been in a motorcycle accident in Florida have experienced a TBI—which is the result of physical trauma to the head that causes damage to the brain—so we can tell you that although the injury itself can be mild, moderate, or severe, the symptoms associated with a TBI are often long lasting.
Many people who’ve experienced a TBI find that the injury changes their quality of life substantially. Here are some of the most common symptoms of TBI we’ve seen in connection with Florida motorcycle wrecks:
- Loss of short-term memory. Some people are unable to remember events that occurred just prior to their injury—in some cases, for as long as 24 hours beforehand.
- Confusion. This is a very common symptom of TBI and one that can be quite frustrating for the person with the injury, who might seem disoriented and unsure of his or her surroundings.
- Emotional and sleep-pattern changes. A TBI can cause people to become more emotional, or they might not be able to sleep as soundly as they did before the injury was sustained. This is not at all unusual and is sometimes related to the confusion that people with a TBI frequently experience.
- Trouble speaking coherently. Because the brain controls all motor skills, including the ability to communicate through speech, an injury to the brain can lead to deterioration of these skills.
- Headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, and nausea. These symptoms are common across the whole range of severity in TBI cases, from mild to severe. They may show up right away or take days (or even weeks) to manifest, and can last for several weeks.
Hire An Experienced Orlando Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you think you might have a TBI, you need to see a doctor immediately. Then, reach out to the Orlando motorcycle accident attorneys at Auto Justice Attorney. We’re here to help you get fair compensation for your injury.