You may already be aware of what you should do if you are ever involved in an Orlando auto accident, but do you know what you should avoid doing? After you’ve been in an accident, your mind may be spinning with confusion. You’re probably going over what just happened to you, thinking about how the entire event unfolded, and worrying about any injuries you might have sustained and the damages to your car.
As you go through your checklist of what to do, here are five thingsnotto do after being in a Florida car crash.
- Do not say too much to the other driver(s).Anything you say to the other driver may be used against you as you work toward a fair settlement in your case. Avoid talking to the other driver about how the accident happened or what went wrong. Instead, get the information you need to contact them later.
- Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company.The other person’s insurance company may call you after hearing about the accident, but you do not have to speak with the insurance company’s representative. Tell the representative that you will be contacting your Florida car accident attorney and that you do not want to talk about the accident until after you’ve spoken with your attorney.
- Do not hesitate to document damage.If you have a camera on your mobile device or with you in the car, take pictures of the damage and the accident scene. This can help you later in your case as you file insurance reports.
- Do not argue with the police.If there is an inaccuracy in the police report, it is important that you do not become confrontational with the police. This can escalate the situation and could have adverse consequences. Instead, document the discrepancy and bring it to your attorney’s attention.
- Do not delay seeking medical treatment.Even if you think you haven’t been injured, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible after the incident. You could have injuries that aren’t obvious right away, and if those injuries aren’t found within a certain amount of time after the accident, the other driver’s insurance may not cover treatment for them.
Hire an Experienced Orlando Auto Accident Attorney
If you’ve been in an accident in the central Florida area, contact our office for help with your case. We’ll guide you through the settlement process and help you get the compensation you deserve