Florida is a well-known retirement spot for numerous reasons, including the state’s many communities that are designed for older adults and the warm weather that seniors can enjoy year-round. Because Florida is such a retirement hotspot, there are more elderly drivers on our roadways. In some cases, as drivers get older, they become more likely to cause a car accident in Florida.
But knowing when to hand over the keys is difficult, and many people resist giving up that aspect of their independence. The National Safety Council recently published an article in its magazine,Family Safety & Health,called “Time to Hand Over the Keys?” This article discusses the importance of knowing whether you (or a loved one) could pose a threat to others when you are behind the wheel. The article mentions some signs that it might be time to stop driving, including the following:
- You’re having problems getting in or out of your vehicle.
- You find it hard to see clearly over the steering wheel or look over your shoulder to make sure it’s clear before backing up or changing lanes.
- You begin to get dents or scratches on your vehicle.
- You start having close calls with accidents or difficulty maneuvering your vehicle in everyday traffic situations.
- You lose your way in areas that should be familiar to you.
- You accumulate several traffic citations or warnings or you’re involved in two or more collisions within a two-year period or less.
Obviously, some of these are more serious than others, but any of them could be a good reason to consider how safe it is for you to be driving. If you’ve noticed any of these in yourself (or in a friend or family member), it might be time to find other forms of transportation. It’s important to be realistic. By ignoring these warning signs, you could be putting yourself and others at risk.
Knowledge Equals Power in Orlando Auto Accident Cases
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Orlando—either as an older driver or with an older driver of another vehicle—talk with a Florida personal injury lawyer at Auto Justice Attorney. We can help you achieve the fairest outcome for both parties.