Preserving physical evidence and properly documenting your injuries are essential to the outcome of your accident case. This evidence provides a strong foundation for your case, helps to establish fault and show the extent of the damages you or a loved one have suffered as a result of the accident. As time passes, evidence can be misplaced, the accident scene can be altered, and memories can fade. Therefore, it is important that this evidence is collected as soon after the accident as possible.
Below are several ways you can preserve evidence following a car accident:
- Make sure and preserve any physical items from the accident scene (i.e. – torn clothing, broken equipment, etc.)
- Request a copy of the police report at the accident scene. Review it before leaving the scene and note any discrepancies to the officer.
- Take photos at the scene of the accident of your injuries along with property damage to your vehicle.
- Have copies made of all medical records regarding your treatment and rehabilitation.
- Have copies made of car repair estimates, rental car fees, additional transportation costs, etc.
- Get detailed statements from any eyewitnesses at the scene of the accident. These individuals can include passengers in your vehicle, other drivers, pedestrians, employees or business owners at stores near the accident scene. Make sure and get the full names and phone numbers of these eyewitnesses.
- Check for any traffic cameras mounted on stoplights that could have captured the accident as it occurred. This video footage can be vital to your accident claim and can sometimes be difficult to obtain on your own. Police officers are not required to tell you if these were in use at the time of the accident. It is important to have your attorney make a timely request for these.
Involved in an Auto Accident in Central Florida? Hire an experienced Orlando Auto Accident Attorney.
If you or a loved one have been a victim of a car accident, it is important you contact an experienced Orlando auto accident attorney to help you file a claim. The law firm of Michael T. Gibson, P.A. is the Home of the More For You Guarantee and is dedicated to protecting the rights of those involved in automobile accidents and will fight aggressively on your behalf to obtain the compensation you deserve following an accident. We can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, future medical treatment, property damage, loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc. Feel free to fill out our quick contact form on our website to discuss your legal options in greater detail. Our office is open daily from 8AM – 5PM. We are also available by phone 24 Hours a Day, 7 days a week at 407-422-4529. Se habla Espanol.