Slip and fall accidents cause huge numbers of injuries and deaths every year in Orlando. Even when someone survives a slip-and-fall accident, they may sustain injuries, including brain damage, paralysis, broken bones, and more. Other consequences of slip and fall accidents include expensive medical bills, missing work, and permanent disabilities.
Michael T. Gibson, P.A., Auto Justice Attorney is proud to be one of the top-rated slip and fall injury law firms in Orlando. If you or a loved one has sustained a injury in a fall on someone else’s premise, please call (407) 422-4529.
We understand that people are at the heart of every slip-and-fall accident case, which is why we treat every client with respect and compassion. You can rest and heal while we work on your case. For more information, call our office at (407) 422-4529 or fill out one of our short contact forms.
Why Choose Attorney Michael T. Gibson for Your Slip and Fall Accident Case?
Orlando has plenty of slip and fall accident lawyers, but how do you choose the right attorney for your case? You want a lawyer who will aggressively protect your rights and see your case through to its conclusion, not someone who wants a quick settlement.
With that in mind, here are a few reasons why our firm is the right choice for your slip and fall accident case:
- Our commitment to our clients. Attorney Michael T. Gibson founded our firm after seeing how the legal system treated his family. We know how devastating an accident can be and the difference a dependable attorney can make. Our lawyers want to help you rebuild your life and recover as much money as possible after an accident.
- Our results. Over the years, our firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients. While we cannot guarantee how much money you will recover for your injuries, we will fight for every dollar you deserve.
- Our resources. Our law office has the resources of a large firm, enabling us to take on the toughest cases and win. At the same time, we make sure to meet every client’s individual needs as best we can. We have the legal firepower to take on the insurance companies while providing exceptional service to all our clients.
- Our affordable services. We understand how an accident can drain your resources. However, everyone who needs an attorney should be able to afford one. We work on a contingency basis, which means you do not owe us any fees unless you collect compensation for your injuries. We also offer free consultations so you can learn more about us before you decide we’re the lawyers for you.
How Much Is a Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
“How much is my case worth?” is one of the most common questions we receive. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you how much your case is worth until we have a chance to investigate the accident.
You can estimate how much compensation you could receive by adding up all your eligible losses in a personal injury claim.
Depending on the specifics of your case, you could recover compensation for:
- Medical bills. Slip and fall accidents can be expensive to treat, especially if you have to spend a long time in the hospital. Our lawyers can help you recover compensation for your doctor’s appointments, ambulance expenses, prescription drugs, physical therapy, and other medical expenses.
- Lost wages. A severe slip and fall accident could keep you away from work for a long while. If that happens, you could lose a significant portion of your income. We can negotiate a settlement that includes compensation for your lost wages after a slip and fall accident.
- Lost future earnings. Brain damage, paralysis, and other severe injuries could limit your ability to work after an accident. However, you still have bills to pay, even when you are not working. Our slip and fall attorneys can help you recover compensation for your lost future earnings due to an injury or disability.
- Physical pain. Falls can be painful, particularly if you break a bone or suffer another severe injury. Intense pain can also affect your quality of life and keep you from doing activities you’re accustomed to or enjoy. We can assist you in recovering compensation for your physical pain after an accident.
- Emotional distress. Mental health disorders are common when someone sustains significant injuries in an accident. These disorders include anxiety, depression, nightmares, flashbacks, and suicidal thoughts. If you struggle emotionally after an accident, we can help you recover a compensation offer for your psychological distress.
- Damaged personal property. Dropping something or landing hard on an object can damage the item, in addition to causing you severe injuries. In a slip and fall accident case, compensation can include money for any personal property damaged in the fall.
Facts About Florida Slip and Fall Accidents
Here are a few statistics about slip and fall accidents in Florida:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that about 25 percent of Florida adults aged 65 and up sustain injuries from falls every year.
- Other CDC data show that it cost just under $4 billion to treat fall injuries among Florida’s older adults in one recent year.
- More than 42,000 people nationwide died from fall injuries in one recent year, CDC research shows.
Types of Slip and Fall Cases We Handle
No matter what caused you to slip and fall, our firm has the resources and determination to help you to Seek Compensation after an accident.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in Florida are:
- Uneven floors or walkways. If a floor surface is not even, anyone walking on it could lose their balance and fall. Sometimes, it may be difficult to see that the floor is uneven until someone looks closer.
- Wet floors from spilled liquids. Wet floors are the prototypical example of how slip and fall accidents happen. Water, spilled drinks, certain cleaning chemicals, and other slippery substances can make a floor unsafe to walk on.
- Clutter or debris on the floor. Small objects on the floor can cause a slip and fall accident if someone steps on the object and loses their balance.
- Damaged sidewalks or other pathways. Cracks in the pavement, uneven surfaces, erosion, and other sidewalk hazards can cause passers-by to slip and fall.
- Inadequate lighting. If you cannot see the ground in front of you as you walk, it is challenging to see potential hazards that could cause a slip and fall accident. Property owners have a legal responsibility to provide adequate lighting in common areas.
- Poorly maintained stairways and handrails. If a stairway is unstable or falling apart, someone could easily lose their balance and fall. Similarly, broken handrails can cause an accident if someone cannot use the handrail to keep their balance.
- Stray electrical cords. When people string electrical cords across the floor without thinking, they inadvertently create a situation where someone walking by could slip and fall.
- Construction site hazards. Construction sites are full of dangers that can cause slip and fall accidents. These hazards include spilled chemicals, open pits and trenches, and debris scattered throughout the site.
- Sloped pathways without proper handrails. Without a handrail to help them keep their balance, people walking up a sloped surface may fall and sustain severe injuries.
- Poorly maintained parking lots and garages. Inadequate lighting, puddles on the floor, poorly maintained pathways, and other hazards make parking lots and garages especially prone to slip and falls.
- Poor weather conditions. Rain or other precipitation at a building’s entrances can cause someone to fall on their way in or out.
Common Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents Include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- External injuries to the head and face
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Sprains, strains, or other soft-tissue issues
- Deep bruises
- Psychological distress
- Wrongful death
How a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Can Help With Your Case
Slip and fall accidents frequently take a substantial toll on victims. While you want to protect your rights and recover compensation for your injuries, doing so can be challenging when you are in pain after an accident. Hiring an Orlando slip and fall accident lawyer means you can rest and focus on your health while your lawyer handles your legal case.
Some of the ways a slip and fall accident attorney can help with your case include:
- Establishing liability. To recover compensation for a slip and fall accident, you must prove the property owner or a business caused your injuries through their negligent actions. Meeting this legal standard can be difficult, but a lawyer can help you find the evidence you need to make your case.
- Documenting your injuries. The key to maximizing compensation in a slip and fall accident case is solid proof of all your injuries. A slip and fall accident attorney can gather your medical records and evidence to make the best possible compensation case.
- Filing your claim. You should file your personal injury claim as soon as possible to recover the money you need. A slip and fall accident lawyer can complete the necessary paperwork for your claim and ensure everything is in order before submitting it.
- Negotiating for a reasonable settlement. Property owners and their insurance companies want to keep their expenses low, which means paying as little as possible for your injuries. However, an attorney can help you try to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company.
- Preparing your case for trial. Most of the time, a property owner or insurer will agree to a settlement to avoid a risky and potentially costly trial. There are times, though, when an insurer will refuse to negotiate in good faith. In cases like this, you can protect your rights by taking the insurance company to court. A slip and fall accident lawyer can handle trial preparations and help you develop your legal strategy.
What to Do After an Orlando Slip and Fall Accident
If you slip and fall on someone else’s property in Orlando, here is what you need to do to protect your rights:
- Report the accident. Find the property owner or a manager and tell them what happened. If your injuries prevent you from making the report yourself, ask a trusted friend or family member to do it for you.
- Document the scene. If you can, use your phone to take pictures of where you fell, any noticeable hazards in the area, and your injuries. Look around for eyewitnesses and get their contact information. Finally, see if any surveillance cameras nearby may have recorded the accident.
- Seek medical attention. See a doctor as soon as possible after a slip and fall accident. First and foremost, you want to rule out any serious internal injuries. Secondly, delaying treatment and not documenting your injuries right away could create issues with a personal injury claim.
- Save your medical records and receipts. These documents are evidence of all the harm you suffered in a slip and fall accident, so do not lose them.
- Do not give any recorded statements. Do not say anything to an insurance company that they could use against you. If an insurance company contacts you, tell them you are hiring an attorney and that they will be handling your case.
Hire a slip and fall accident lawyer. The sooner you meet with an attorney, the quicker they can get started on your case.