Distracted Driving in Orlando
below are some of the most common questions received at the Michael T. Gibson firm about distracted driving. Learn what the experienced Orlando car accident lawyers at the Michael T. Gibson firm tell people about distracted driving.
What are some of the most common driving distractions?
- Using a cell phone or smartphone
- Adjusting the radio or CD player
- Eating and drinking
- Talking to passengers
- Using a navigation system
- Watching a video
What is considered the most dangerous distracted driving behavior?
Out of all of the driving distractions, texting while behind the wheel is considered the most dangerous, as text messages require visual, manual and cognitive attention from the driver.
What are the most notable findings revealed in State Farm’s 2013 Distracted Driving Survey?
The percentage of drivers who go online while behind the wheel has nearly doubled in the past five years. Now approximately 25 percent of drivers admit to surfing the web while driving, up from 13 percent five years ago. Among drivers ages 18-29, that number increased from 29% to 49%. There were also jumps in the percentages of people who read or responded to e-mail, and who read or updated social media profiles while driving.
What is a designated texter?
Designated texters are passengers who take control of the driver’s smartphone and deal with any texts that might come in while the driver is focused on the road.
What are some ways I can avoid getting distracted while driving?
- Fully focus on the road while driving. Actively scan the road, using mirrors and be especially careful of pedestrians, motorcycles and cyclists.
- Keep loose gear and possessions that can roll around on the car floor out of reach, so you are not tempted to reach down and pick them up while driving.
- Adjust vehicle systems such as your GPS, radio, mirrors, seats, etc. before hitting the road.
- Decide on your route and check traffic and weather conditions ahead of time.
Safe Driving Can Reduce Orlando Auto Accidents
If you or a loved one have been involved in a car accident caused by a distracted driver, it is important to contact an experienced Orlando Auto Accident Lawyer to help you file a lawsuit. The law firm of Michael T. Gibson, P.A. is dedicated to protecting the rights of those involved in automobile accidents. We can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, future medical treatment, loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc. Feel free to fill out our quick contact form on our website to discuss your legal options in greater detail.
Orlando, FL 32814