We see and hear of accidents every day but we never expect to find ourselves involved in a car accident. Nothing ruins your day more than finding yourself in a car accident. It can ruin your car and it can leave you with injuries.
Cars crowd central Florida roads. There are many visitors to the area who aren’t sure where they are going. Other people are trying to get someplace too quickly.
No matter their reason, the blatant disregard of safety by some Orlando drivers can lead you to an accident. To make sure you don’t end up having to pay for your expenses out of pocket, you need to work with a trusted Orlando car accident attorney.
Car Accident Types
Car accidents range from minor fender benders to complete destruction. Most car accidents are categorized in the following areas:
- Rear end collisions
- Side impact collisions
- Sideswipe collisions
- Vehicle rollover
- Head on collision
- Single car accident
- Multiple vehicle collision
- Hit and run
Regardless of the type of accident that caused your injury, car accident claims can involve legal complexities. Trying to handle your own car accident injury claim could result in you ending up paying out of pocket for some or all of your medical expenses. This could make a tragic situation even worse. Using the services of a seasoned personal injury lawyer in Orlando can be the difference between financial ruin and making a speedy recovery without worrying about your medical bills.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
In 2017, there were more than 3,000 traffic fatalities in Florida. While car accidents don’t always result in a death, there are over six million car accidents in the United States each year and many of these result in severe injuries. Each car accident is unique but many accidents are caused by recurring factors. These include:
- Driver fatigue – Maybe someone didn’t sleep well, is under too much stress at work, or has been trying to make a long road trip on little sleep. Regardless of the reason, drowsy driving is dangerous. Studies have consistently shown that drowsy driving is like driving drunk.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – Speaking of drunk driving, a common cause of Florida car accidents is drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. Choosing to drive after having too many drinks puts other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians at risk of grave injury or death.
- Failure to yield – Whether at an intersection or while changing lanes, other drivers sometimes do not look for oncoming or existing traffic. This negligence could cause an accident causing your injuries.
- Distracted driving – Drivers are not immune to the beep of their phones or the need to change the radio station. Distracted driving causes serious accidents because other drivers may not have time to apply the brakes before hitting another vehicle.
While these are the most common causes of car accidents, countless others may have contributed to your accident. What’s important to remember is that you didn’t cause the accident or your injuries so you shouldn’t bear any responsibility for the costs associated with your recovery.
The injuries resulting from car accidents vary depending on the type of accident you were in. In general, injuries include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
More than 600 crashes take place per day on Florida roads. Many of these are caused by negligent drivers. Your injuries result from someone not paying attention to the road, driving intoxicated, or one of a host of other reasons.
Because of your accident, you now have to live with your injuries. Your injuries may be so severe that you’re out of work temporarily or even possibly permanently. As a result, you need to make sure your medical bills are covered and you don’t have to pay a dime out of pocket. That’s where we come in to help.
Steps to Take After Your Car Accident
No matter what type of car accident you find yourself in, the moments immediately following the crash are crucial. Taking these steps will help you and your car injury lawyer maximize your recovery.
- Call 911. Even if you have minor injuries, you want to have a police record of the accident. While the police may not assign fault to the other driver in their report, they will diagram the scene and provide statements from drivers, passengers, and witnesses who will help your insurance company and motor vehicle crash lawyer determine fault.
- Get medical attention. Again, seemingly minor injuries can turn severe. Your adrenaline is pumping and you’re probably not feeling all the pain. You could miss symptoms a medical professional won’t miss. You also want documentation of your injuries so you can be certain the at-fault driver or their insurance company is the one paying the medical bills.
- If you’re able, take pictures. But only if it is safe to do so. You want to get pictures of your car, the other car, the accident scene, and your injuries. Pictures can help us determine the value of your car crash claim and provide us with images taken moments after you suffered the injuries to show their severity.
- Exchange contact information with other drivers, passengers, and witnesses. Making sure you have this information helps your car accident attorney prepare your insurance claim. Witnesses don’t always stick around for the police to take their statements. Get their contact information so we can speak with them later.
- Do not accept blame for the car accident. You might think you would never accept blame, especially if it wasn’t your fault. But simply saying that you’re sorry could be interpreted as accepting blame for the accident. Doing this can cause you to be held partially or fully at-fault making you on the hook for some of the damages associated with the accident.
- Call your insurance company but do not give a statement. You need to alert your insurance company that you were in an accident and it wasn’t your fault—but do not give them or anyone else a recorded statement before consulting a motor vehicle accident lawyer. Your insurance company isn’t always looking out for your best interest.
- Keep a journal. Write in the journal every day starting with the day of your accident. By keeping a journal, you ensure you forget nothing. You want to note how you’re feeling every day. Note your injuries and if you’re getting better or worse. Meticulous notes can help your car accident lawyer negotiate with the insurance company to maximize your recovery.
- Call a car crash attorney. If you did not cause the accident, you should not bear any responsibility for the costs to get better.
Damages You Can Get
When you or a loved one are injured in a car accident, your sole focus should be on your recovery. Your automobile accident lawyer can fight to get you compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Home remodel costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of companionship
Because of the severity of your injuries, you’re likely out of work, maybe temporarily and possibly permanently. This means you won’t have money coming in to help cover your bills. This is why you must work with a skilled and trusted personal injury lawyer who can help you recover what you need so you don’t end up paying any bills out of pocket.
Beware Settlement Offers
When it’s determined the other driver was at-fault in your car accident, their insurance company will contact you. They will offer you a low ball settlement. They know you have bills piling up and may be out of work. They know you need quick cash. They’ll prey on you and urge you to sign the settlement so you get access to that quick cash.
Don’t sign anything without first speaking with a car accident lawyer.
The settlement offer likely won’t include a calculation of all the costs you face. It may not even cover all of your existing medical bills, let alone future costs. Besides all that, when you sign the settlement offer, it will most likely include a clause prohibiting you from bringing any further claim against them for this accident. This means you effectively waive your right to sue to get the full value of your claim.
We can’t stress to our clients enough the importance of having the right advocate on your side to aggressively fight for you. The negligent driver caused your injuries and you should not have to be on the hook for any of the costs.
When you work with us, we’ll sit with you to create an accurate calculation of your existing bills but also your future bills. Depending on the severity of your injuries, your future medical bills and rehabilitation costs may become excessive. You don’t want to find yourself in a worse financial situation than you were before the accident. That’s why you must speak with a personal injury lawyer who is not only seasoned but whom you can trust.
Benefits of Using a Car Accident Lawyer
We find many clients want to handle their car accident claim without an attorney. Many people think it’s cheaper. In the end, it’ll cost more because you’ll end up losing out on the compensation you so desperately need.
Using a skilled Orlando car accident attorney gives you access to someone with experience:
- Investigating your accident—Your attorney can speak with witnesses, review police reports, and review medical records
- Filing your claim – Your attorney can make sure your claim gets the attention it deserves by filing it correctly and providing the evidence required to show you are the victim
- Proving damages – Your attorney can use the evidence collected during the investigation to show the court you have actual damages you deserve to be compensated for by showing your injuries directly resulted from the negligent acts of the other driver
- Negotiating with the insurance company – Your attorney can then use the evidence to negotiate with the insurance company and work with them to create a reasonable settlement offer that takes into account your existing and your future medical bills
- Representing you in court – Your attorney can also speak for you in court, standing up for your rights, and aggressively fighting to get you the full value of your claim, if necessary
Your success depends on a car accident law firm that can perform the above tasks. Without the right lawyer representing you, your injuries could put you in a tough financial spot. Your lawyer’s goal is to make sure you get the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
Contact a Car Crash Lawyer for More Information
Without the knowledge and support of an experienced and skilled personal injury team guiding you through the legal complexities of your claim, you risk losing out on the opportunity to receive the compensation you deserve for the injuries you suffered. Medical care is expensive and piles up quickly. It’s possible to find yourself in a worse financial situation after your accident if you don’t have the legal help you need.
Contacting a trusted car accident attorney can guide and stand beside you through every step. Let a trusted motor vehicle accident firm deal with the legal work while you focus on your recovery.
Orlando, FL 32814